SWIM THE FISH VIRTUAL CHALLENGE
With the health and safety of our community being a priority during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Swim the Fish 2020 event cannot take place in person. We thank you for choosing to participate in the Virtual option to continue the spirit of the event!
The 1 mile virtual swim is a fun, inexpensive way to compete and challenge yourself and others, support your local aquatic facility..and you can participate anywhere you have access to water!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Taking part is simple and straightforward. Register, and then before midnight on August 16th, you will swim a 1-mile open water, or 1750 yard (1500 meter) pool swim using your Garmin, smartwatch, or other GPS enabled device (or borrow a friend’s!), or stopwatch if in a pool with a coach.
Registration will include a participant cap and swag. If you choose to self-report your swim anytime before midnight on August 16th, you will also receive a finisher t-shirt!
- Registration will include the mailing of your packet to all participants who complete the virtual option and live more than 30 miles from Whitefish. Packets will be mailed after August 17th.
- An in-person pick up of packets will take place at the Wave (outside, physically distanced) under the Swim the Fish arch on August 18th from 4 – 6 PM! Please note, if you cannot attend, packets will be available in the Wave Aquatic and Fitness Center after 6 PM on August 18th. Masks will be required.
Unofficial race results will be emailed to every participant after August 17, 2020. Winners will be announced and will receive a special iron-on transfer for their t-shirt, noting their accomplishment. Awards will be given to the top male and female in the following age divisions, and in both open water and pool categories:
Under 18; 19-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69; 70-79; 80+
To Self-Report your virtual swim results:
- Results can be sent to the race director anytime before August 17, 2020 @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Results must include: name, age, open water (1 mile) or pool (1750 yards / 1500 meters) category, time for the mile swim, and what you used to track your time (garmin, smartwatch, stopwatch with coach, etc.
- Include any other relevant details you would like – pictures, smiles, a note of encouragement to other participants.
- Results are not required to receive your participant swim cap and other race swag.
- Reported times will not be validated.
- Reported times will be used to create unofficial race results.
The Swim the Fish Virtual swim is just that – a virtual swim. As such, there is not the support, volunteers, and support systems that come with the organized open water swim. This means all swimmers must be responsible for their own safety.
We encourage swimmers to adhere to the following:
- Review the waiver upon registering.
- Always swim with a buddy or some sort of safety support (someone in a boat, a lifeguard onshore, etc.)
- Swim within your limits. Open water conditions vary widely. Make sure you know the conditions you are swimming in and swim within your abilities when it comes to distance, temperature, waves, and currents.
- Adhere to whatever local COVID-19 related social distancing rules may be in place at the facility, or location you swim (abiding by lake closures if any, maximum gathering sizes, physical distancing, etc.)
- Leave no trace. We are committed to promoting the sustainable use of our open water, make sure you pick up any litter and leave the water and surrounding areas as you found it.
- We strongly encourage swimmers to use a swim buoy for both visibility and safety purposes.
Thank you for supporting the Wave Aquatic and Fitness center’s scholarship fund which helps support local individuals afford membership so everyone in our community can benefit from health and wellness. The Wave is a Montana 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
We look forward to seeing you lakeside in Whitefish in August 2021!
All proceeds will benefit the Wave’s Aquatic and Fitness Center’s scholarship fund which helps support local individuals afford membership so everyone in our community can benefit from health and wellness. The Wave is a Montana 501(c)(3) nonprofit
1250 Baker Ave. Whitefish, MT 59937